Pages

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Spring...

I just keep telling myself that... Things will happen in the spring...

 There was one more surprise package that I was expecting, but hadn't told y'all about yet. Well, today I cancelled the coming of that surprise package. It needs to wait until spring...

 T'was a chicken, as a matter of fact. But not just any ordinary chicken.. Oh no... This was a Ko Shamo stag.

Ko Shamo Stag
What? You don't know that a Ko Shamo stag is?? That's okay, I didn't either until a couple years ago.

A Ko Shamo is a Japanese, bantam, fighting bird. No, I have no intentions of getting into cockfighting (I did learn however, that it is still legal in some states!), but I liked the looks of these little birds. In the game bird world, you don't say "roosters", you call the males "stags". Ko Shamos are known for their friendly, outgoing nature towards their handlers, and make great pets. As long as you keep the males separate, you're good to go. You can see pictures of Ko Shamos HERE.


When I learned about these funny looking birds, two years ago, I wanted a pair soooo bad. But there was a problem: Ko Shamo chicks sell for $200 to $300 each, and they get snapped up so fast that you hardly have a chance of getting any! The market for these little guys is really good, if you have brood stock. After a two year search, I finally found an adult stag for only $80! The breeder was selling him for more than that, but I managed to haggle the price down. (I love haggling...) I thought I was good to go, and my stag was supposed to come this Saturday. Buuuuut, my conscience got in the way. Humph. I hate it when that happens, although I suppose I should be thankful that I've got one! ;) Hay prices have sky rocketed this year, and I need to buy a ton or two for the goats... I need to buy a plane ticket... I need to buy some more medicine for Capri (who is still not in good health)... I need to get an ID, before I leave in January... After budgeting for November, I sorrowfully realized that buying a Ko Shamo stag just wasn't fitting in right now. :( Phooey.

So I e-mailed the breeder and explained the situation. He was fine with putting the stag back up for sale. There were three other people besides myself who wanted him, so he'll go fast. And yes, I feel better knowing that I'm not about to plunk down $120 for a 2 lb. bird ($80 for the actual bird, plus $40 for shipping), but... I'm bummed that I have to wait until spring before trying once again to get my own stock...

No comments: