Pages

Friday, November 11, 2011

Permission Denied

So, I sent an e-mail to the rescue that the Oberhasli doe was at. I was pretty tentative about the whole thing. As I mentioned before, I really can't afford another goat right now, but I figured it can't hurt to ask some questions.

 I received a reply a few hours later, saying that I could not adopt any of their goats because I breed my own goats for milk and meat.

 Ouch.

 I was open to the possibility of keeping this Oberhasli doe open (meaning not pregnant or milking, ever.), as I know most rescues are against breeding; but this gal wouldn't let me pursue the possibility of adoption because I breed my other does!! Shucks, we're talking livestock here, lady! The goats are my source of income (most of the time, anyway), my hobby, and my way of life. I can understand the whole "no breeding" thing when it comes to dogs and cats; after all they aren't used in the areas of milk, meat and draft. But with livestock??? Nope, I'll forgo a little Oberhasli doe named Capri if they put down those terms. I like my milk and meat, thank you very much!

 Yeah, I'm a little disgruntled about this... The lady who e-mailed was very rude about the whole thing. Had she at least been polite, that would have helped matters. But instead I was thrown out the door! Mutter, mutter, mutter...

Alright, I'm off to go do something useful now... 

5 comments:

Jazkabor said...

We have had a hard time adopting rescues as well. It is pretty crazy, in my opinion.
We could adopt old pet rabbits that need "rehabilitating" and pay more than a kit and a fresh start. But they were never allowed to live outside.
You can adopt a dog, but they must be allowed inside.
You can adopt a cat but a barn is not a suitable home. (!?!?!?)
And now you can't milk a goat?!?!
I can see why there are so many animals in need of a new home, those wackadoos keep them from living with sane people. I love my pets but I do not worship them. ; )

Jazkabor said...

Guess it is better for them to live without having owners at all, in a rescue or pound. Being taken care of by employees. :P Rescuers forbid they have a life as they were meant too.

Autumn said...

Grr! People like that get on my nerves! You definitely had much more restraint than I would have had...

Miranda said...

That is really strange... I don't see why a person would be like that. Maybe the idea of breeding that one as you said... but that you bred the ones you already had?! what ever...

Goat Song said...

Aye, it's crazy... I certainly don't understand their logic!

Autumn, I never replied. ;) I wasn't sure what level of restraint I would have, so I just deleted the e-mail.