Pages

Monday, October 31, 2011

Busy Days A' Comin'!

See this?


Do you know what it is?


It's lard. Straight from the hog.

And I have 60 lbs. of it, all in jars, sitting quietly on a shelf.


Alas, 'tis not for me! A family just recently had their two hogs harvested, and they found themselves with 160 lbs. of pig fat that they didn't know what to do with. So they rendered it down to lard, and brought me a 60 lb. batch to make soap with!! I am going to be busy this week! 

Just looking at all those jars of lard makes me want to raise my own hogs someday... My mouth fairly waters when I think about using lard in the kitchen... If you haven't tried anything made with lard yet, you are missing out on a treat. Lard pie crusts, homemade doughnuts fried in lard, green beans sauteed in lard and then seasoned with garlic salt, apple dumplings made with lard... Okay, I need to stop now; I'm getting hungry. ;) So yes, someday this farm girl will have her own hogs so she can have all the lard she desires! LOL.


But back to the soap... This will be a goat milk soap blend, with honey in it as well, so if it wasn't for the lye, you could probably eat this stuff in a pinch! Lard, goat milk, and honey! Yum! I'm hoping to get about 80 bars of soap from this batch, and if the family likes how it turned out, then I'll get the last 100 lbs. to make some more with. Methinks that is going to be the cleanest family in these here parts! ;) 

2 comments:

Heart's Homestead said...

Let me know how it goes! Lard just smells so strong, even when rendered well. I've never been able to use it successfully in soaps :) LOVE leaf lard for cooking, though!

Autumn said...

Lard! It's almost butcherin' here, and this year I get to help (!) and sometimes they make lard. I hope your soap turns out alright and that you share the results!