Pages

Saturday, November 13, 2010

It made my day...

I was talking on the phone with a milk customer the other day, and as we were finishing up she said to me, "Oh by the way, my family and I want to thank you so much for the goat milk. For the past couple of weeks, the milk has been a lot sweeter than usual, and it has been so great! I don't know what you might have been doing differently, but it tastes really good."

Those three little sentences, made my day! I was beaming from ear to ear for the rest of the evening! I really have no idea why the milk is suddenly sweeter; the only thing I have been doing differently is getting the goats to eat more fresh forage, and am slowly weaning them off of their grain. But would that really make a difference?

 I worked hard all summer and early fall to try and raise the sugar content of our grass, and you can see the difference between one pasture that got a lot of attention, and another pasture that didn't get much. The one that I worked on is green, green green! It's very lush, and it has a lot of clover (it used to never have clover), while the other one has a lot of couch grass and other coarse plants. Maybe all my hard work is paying off with a higher butterfat percentage in my goat's milk?

Or maybe the goats have just been in a good mood.... ;)

No comments: